I did find the following nonmedical treatments (http://www.drspock.com/article/0,1510,5985,00.html):
- Drink plenty of fluids, as this will help to thin secretions. Water, chicken soup, juices, and warm tea are good sources.
- Use a humidifier. Place it close to your face when you sleep. During the day, you can make a tent out of a sheet draped over your head. Stay under the tent for 15 minutes, three or four times a day.
- Rub a mentholated product (like Vicks Vaporub) on your chest according to package instructions.
- For nasal stuffiness, use saline drops. You can buy these at drugstores or prepare a solution at home. Just dissolve 1/4 teaspoon salt in 8ounces of water. Place a few drops in each nostril, wait 5 to 10 minutes, and then gently blow your nose.
- To make breathing easier, sleep in a recliner or prop up your head with lots of pillows so that you are in a semi-upright position.
- Take a warm shower. This can help clear nasal stuffiness and mucus.
- Get plenty of rest.